Tucker Wins CARQUEST 100 at NBIS
GEARY, NB (August 5, 2006) - Shawn Tucker of Fredericton, NB won the CARQUEST 100 for the CARQUEST Pro Stock Tour at the New Brunswick International Speedway (NBIS) on Saturday night. Defending NBIS weekly Pro Stock Division Champion, Glen Rasmussen of New Denmark finished second, ahead of John Flemming of Halifax, NS. Gordie Ryan of Wellington, NS and Brad Mann of Campbellton rounded out the top five. Tucker becomes the sixth different winner in seven races this season.
Tucker won the Fast Track RV Sales Halfway award and the Atlantic Tiltload Most Laps Led Award. Seven cautions and one red flag slowed the event, which took one hour and sixteen minutes to complete.
The Rockico Truck and Trailer Pole Challenge was not accepted by any of the top five drivers on the starting grid.
Kris Fournier of Charlottetown, PE and Matt Harris of Fredericton Junction, NB won the Motor Mart heat races. Tucker won the Motor Mart Dash for the Pole. Twenty-seven of the Maritime’s top drivers attempted to qualify for the CARQUEST 100 on the 1/4-mile oval billed as “Canada’s Fastest Short Track”. In Time Trials, it was Ryan with the fastest time at an average speed of 65.564 miles per hour.
Shawn Tucker (middle) won the CARQUEST Tour 100 at NBIS - for the second year in a row. Glen Rasmussen (left) was second and John Flemming was third.
In the Coast Tire Street Stock Division fan favourite, Smokin’ Joe, in the #04 Mowatt’s drilling ride took his car sideways through the turns and managed to take it three wide as he does on a weekly basis. However the tiger orange ride couldn’t catch the leader, Rick Cashol, in the #54 Moosehead Breweries ride. Cashol took the leading position passing rookie driver, Jason Shannon, in the #20 Ford and the third place car, the #99 McGregor Construction ride of Shawn Hyslop. Hyslop and Cashol had stepped off on the wrong foot three weeks ago which lead to a black flag on both. However, both drivers have put that incident in the past and shaken hands. Cruising into the second was the #23 King’s County Courier of Mike Francis. Francis tackled Rick Cashol for the lead but settled for second. The street stocks proved to be very exciting and antsy from a one week’s vacation.
The Martin’s Home Heating Sportsman division was just as exciting as the Coast Tire Street Stocks. Robert Lee in the #41 Square Cat Construction ride lead the majority of the race but fell back to finish in fourth position. The #69 Nackawic Night Train ride of Brian Gillespie took the lead on lap 26 and never looked back. Gillespie took home tonight’s feature win in the Martin’s Home Heating Sportsman feature. Finishing in second was the #37 Dairy Queen ride of Bradley Logan. Logan started the race in 10th position and passed many cars to take home the second place win. Finishing out the top three was the #12 Jardine Auctioneers ride of Glyn Nott. Nott challenged Logan many times for the second place position but just couldn’t make the pass and settled for third.
The next stop on the CARQUEST Pro Stock Tour is on August 19 at the newly rebuilt Riverside Speedway, near Antigonish, NS. The Antigonish Mall 200 will see the cars and stars of the CARQUEST Pro Stock Tour compete in the inaugural event of a new era of racing at the famed high banked 3/8 mile track.
The CARQUEST Pro Stock Tour is operated by the Maritime Pro Stock Tour Limited and features an 11 race series at five different venues throughout the Maritime Provinces. Top drivers from all three provinces compete, including previous champions Rollie MacDonald, Shawn Tucker, John Flemming and Wayne Smith. For more information, visit maritimeprostocktour.com or call our administration office Monday to Friday at (902) 481-2531.
OFFICIAL Race Report
Time Trials 1. Gordie Ryan 13.727; 2. Wayne Smith 13.804; 3. John Flemming 13.806; 4. Shawn Tucker 13.818; 5. Brad Mann 13.852; 6. Darren Vanderaa 13.883; 7. Greg Proude 13.927; 8. Glenn Rasmussen 13.992; 9. Kent Livingston 14.033; 10. Russell Smith 14.064; 11. Bob Nielson 14.069; 12. Matt Harris 14.074; 13. Kris Fournier 14.097; 14. Chris Hughes 14.106; 15. Kent Vincent 14.111; 16. Dale Holmes 14.111; 17. Mike Stevens 14.117; 18. Tim Rodgers 14.136; 19. Stephen Brown 14.166; 20. Stacey Clements 14.181; 21. Dan MacKay 14.255; 22. Roger Crane 14.296; 23. Shawn Pierce 14.319; 24. Sandy Livingston 14.417; 25. Shawn Turple 16.085.
Motor Mart Dash for the Pole 1. Shawn Tucker; 2. Brad Mann; 3. Wayne Smith; 4. John Flemming; 5. Greg Proude; 6. Gordie Ryan; 7. Kent Livingston; 8. Russell Smith; 9. Darren Vanderaa; 10. Glenn Rasmussen.
Motor Mart Heat Race # 1 1. Kris Fournier; 2. Kent Vincent; 3. Bob Nielson; 4. Dan MacKay; 5. Shawn Turple; 6. Mike Stevens; 7. Stephen Brown; 8. Shawn Pierce.
Motor Mart Heat Race # 2 1. Matt Harris; 2. Dale Holmes; 3. Chris Hughes; 4. Stacey Clements; 5. Tim Rodgers; 6. Roger Crane; 7. Sandy Livingston.
RESULTS - THE CARQUEST PRO STOCK TOUR 100
NEW BRUNSWICK INTERNATIONAL SPEEDWAY - AUGUST 5, 2006
Pos / Car No. / Driver Name / Sponsor / Hometown /Prov. / Laps Completed
1. 52 Shawn Tucker Rockico Truck and Trailer Fredericton NB 100
2. 81 Glenn Rasmussen Robins Inn Perth Andover NB 100
3. 97 John Flemming The Roofing Connection Halifax NS 100
4. 67 Gordie Ryan Municipal Contracting Wellington NS 100
5. 35 Brad Mann Subway Campbellton NB 100
6. 94 Russell Smith Signs by Chris Halifax NS 100
7. 71 Dan MacKay Wilson Titanium Halifax NS 100
8. 44 Wayne Smith Trax Construction Halifax NS 100
9. 29 Greg Proude Challenger Farm Equipment Charlottetown PEI 100
10. 32 Chris Hughes North Shore Trucking Winsloe PEI 100
11. 72 Stacey Clements Mighty Auto Halifax NS 99
12. 19v Darren Vanderaa Walter Piccott Chev Olds Winsloe PEI 99
13. 37 Kris Fournier Taylor Flooring Charlottetown PEI 99
14. 51 Bob Nielson Island Air Vernon River PEI 99
15. 0 Shawn Turple Ledwidge Lumber Enfield NS 99
16. 8 Kent Vincent HP Glover Crapaud PEI 97
17. 4 Dale Holmes Castle Building Supplies Charlottetown PEI 89
18. 9 Stephen Brown Mr. Demolition Halifax NS 81
19. 26 Mike Stevens Stevens Mechanical Moncton NB 65
20. 21 Shawn Pierce Steve's Ironworks Blockhouse NS 58
21. 76 Roger Crane Montague Tire Montague PEI 51
22. 87 Matt Harris Harris and Son Trucking Fredericton Junction NB 50
23. 10 Kent Livingston Walter Piccott Chev Olds Charlottetown PEI 22
24. 19 Tim Rodgers Norampac Moncton NB 3
25. 39 Sandy Livingston Springhill NS 3
26. 17 Dave Potter Howard Little Excavating Cambridge NS 0
27. 66 Daryl Mahar Split Crow Beverage Room Halifax NS 0
|BACK TO ARCHIVES|